Sunday, 20 October 2013

Blowdry


Available from:www.fitmomsinthecity.com
Last accessed: 20 Oct 2013
In this hair practical, I was shown how to blow dry hair and tried it out myself. 


I followed the following procedures: 

Note: Before you start styling hair or any procedure, you must do a short consultation. You must examine the hair quickly, making note of the type of hair you are about to work with, such as length, thickness, colour and the overall healthiness of the hair. This will tell you if the person you are about to work on is suitable for the styling you require and how you can go about treating the hair e.g low heat settings/serum. Whilst doing the consultation, you must also be aware of any hair diseases the model might be carrying, if the hair disease is contagious, you must not work on that model. 



1. Consultation

2. Wash hair 

3. Use the hairdryer to remove excess water, but keep the hair damp for the for the blowdry. 

4. Decide where you want the parting to be. 
NOTE: It is easier to find the parting or create a new parting when the hair is damp.

5. Put the required product in e.g heat defence/mousse. Again, make sure the hair is not too wet, if the hair is too wet you will not gain the full product potential. 

6. Section hair starting at the bottom, smaller sections are easier to manage. 

7. Use a round brush with a metal hollow centre, the metal in the centre heats up as you're drying the hair and will shape the hair better. 

8. Blowdry in a downwards motion ad in one direction, blowdry in the direction you want the hair to sit. Use appropriate force but do not tug the hair as it may stretch the hair and cause breakage. 
NOTE: Treat each section of hair as an individual piece of hair, paying as much attention to each section as the last. 

9. Make sure you pay close attention to the roots of the hair first, as no matter how much volume and lift you create, if the roots are still damp, the hair will sag - it will not stay in the desired volume and lift that you have created. 

10. Don't forget the ends, the ends are normally the driest part of the hair, so pay close attention to split ends, if necessary, use a lower heat setting. 

11. When you have created the desired effect, use the cold setting on the hair to set it. 

12. If necessary, you can add more style by using straighteners/hair wands etc. 

13. Finish off with hairspray, to maintain the shape. 


For this practical lesson, I worked on my friend Amy: 

Consultation notes: 

  • Long hair with bangs 
  • Naturally straight 
  • Thin and colour damaged 
  • Dry ends and and hair breakage
  • No known hair disease

After i washed Amy's hair and removed all the excess water, before I began the blowdry process I applied serum to the lower ends of her hair, this will achieve a glossier effect and help moisturise the ends. 

My aim was to create as much volume at the top of the head as possible, however, since it was my first time blowdrying hair, I found it difficult holding the hairdryer in one hand and the round brush in the other and my arms soon got tired repeating the same motions. As Amy has thin hair, I found it difficult to create a lot of volume. At this point, I would have added some Batiste XXL volume dry shampoo, but sadly I didn't have any to hand.  

Here are before and after pictures.  

Before
After


























I am not happy with the fringe, I thought it was at an awkward length as the model is growing her fringe out but I could have shaped it better with a straightener afterwards to frame the face better. 





No comments:

Post a Comment