Sunday, 20 October 2013

Interpreting Elizabethan Hair

In order to develop a fuller understanding of Elizabethan hair, I have pieced together a collage of several images that I feel reflect the ideas behind Elizabethan hair. 

I have collected the images according to a quote describing and mocking Elizabethan hair, written by Alchin L.K. 

"Then followeth the trimming and tricking of their heds in laying out their hair to the show, which of force must be curled, frizled and crisped, laid out on wreathes & borders from one eare to an other. And lest it should fall down, it is underpropped with forks, wyres, & I can not tel what, rather like grim stern monsters, than chaste christian matrones. Then on the edges of their bolstered heir (for it standeth crested round about their frontiers, & hanging over their faces like pendices or vails with glasse windows on every side)"

As you can see I have cut the quote up, for each description I have prescribed an image that I think illustrates the idea. 
I imagine that all the images combined would create the perfect image of the quote - large frizzled curly hair adorned with jewels in the shape of a crown sitting on the top of the head. An image that struck out to me was the use of the word 'wreathes', it remind me of christmas wreathes adorned with flowers and ivy, hence, I imagine the shape of the hair would be in the shape of a wreathe, instead, adorned with jewels of gold and silver. 


I have added some Elizabethan details to the contemporary image I have chosen to describe the word 'smart'. I have added tried to relate to the quote above by adding certain features.

On the right is the original image that I have worked on. I printed the image on A4 card and worked over the top with colour pencils, pen and white paint.


The image at the bottom is the final outcome, I feel that I have created a contemporary Elizabethan look.


I have added volume and shape at the top of the head like elizabethans, and pearls to adorn the hair. The rich red colour was also extremely desirable for elizabethan ladies. I think the contemporary aspects of this look is the ponytail at the back and by using simpler shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment